NDU Banner

 HISTORY OF NOTRE DAME UNIVERSITY


The Congregation of the Oblates of Mary Immaculate (Oblate Fathers) first came to the Philippines on September 25, 1939 upon the invitation by Bishop Luis del Rosario, S.J. of Zamboanga.

Immaculate (Oblate Fathers) first came to the Philippines on September 25, 1939 upon the invitation of Bishop Luis del Rosario, S.J. of Zamboanga. Taking over from the Jesuits, the Oblate Fathers continued with the evangelization of the empire province of Cotabato and the Sulu-Tawi-Tawi group of islands. As the new vanguards of Christianity, they sought to win friends and allies among the Christian and Muslim populace in the heart of Morolandia.
The Pacific War in 1941 interrupted the Oblate Mission in Mindanao. Some Oblate Fathers were taken as prisoners and incarcerated at the University of Santo Tomas by the Japanese.

After the war, the Oblate Fathers returned to their mission stations in Cotabato and Sulu. Although faced with the gargantuan task of reconstruction and rehabilitation, they were undaunted. They forged ahead pursuing their Vision-Mission with greater zeal, vigor and vitality in the spirit of their founder, St. Eugene de Mazenod. 

The Oblate Fathers established the Notre Dame College (now University) in 1948. It was the first college founded in Cotabato City and the entire Province of Cotabato. Although primarily established as a teacher training institution, it offered courses in Liberal Arts, Commerce and Elementary Education.

Fr. Robert E. Sullivan, OMI was its first Dean.  Mr. Juan Sinco was the Registrar and Mr. Samuel Cabiles was the Librarian. The pioneering faculty of eight members included Fr. Robert Sullivan, OMI; Bro. Maurus James Doherty, FMS; Bro. Damian Teston, FMS; Mother Ma. Isabel Purificacion, RVM; Mrs. Nilda Quintana; RTC Judge Vicente Cusi Jr.; Atty. MatiasBasco; and Mr. Alfredo Gimenez.

 

Early Beginnings

The Early Beginnings
In the 40s…Building on the Ravages of War

The College started operating without a building of its own. The first 128 students attended classes at the Notre Dame of Cotabato Girls Department Building, which was a property of the RVM sisters. The second semester enrollment dropped with only 98 students. There were only eight students in the summer of the first School Year 1948-1949.  However, this did not cause any discouragement to the Oblate Fathers. On the contrary, they ushered new ventures and broke new grounds in the work of evangelization.

In 1949, the Notre Dame College acquired its own building adjacent to the Cathedral and the Notre Dame Press along Quezon Avenue. The school was located practically in the heart of Cotabato City.

 

In the 50's

In the 50s…Breaking New Grounds in the Work of Evangelization through Education

The School Year 1950-1951 ushered brighter hopes for the young College. As enrollment increased, the administration felt the need to expand its course offerings.  A new course in Education was introduced to students wanting to teach in the secondary level. In addition, the ROTC Unit was organized with the offering of military science and tactics for the male population of the college. 

In 1952, Fr. John P. Murphy, OMI succeeded Fr. Sullivan as Dean of the College.  In 1953, the College received full Government Recognition for its course offerings in Liberal Arts, Commerce and Education.  In the same year, the College of Law started offering first year law subjects. Complete elementary education was offered later with the establishment of the Notre Dame Training Department, envisioned to be a Teaching Laboratory for Education students majoring in Elementary Education. 

In 1954, Fr. James W. Burke, OMI became the Dean of the College. For three years, 1954 to1957, the College further expanded its course offerings to meet the growing needs of the community. During Fr. Burke's term, the Normal College was opened with complete courses in Elementary Education leading to the Degree of Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education.  

In 1956, the two-year pre-nursing course was offered. 

In 1957, Fr. John P. Murphy, OMI assumed as Dean for the second time, replacing Fr. Burke who was elected Superior of the OMI Philippine Province. Under his leadership, the Notre Dame College embarked on new ventures not only in its course offerings but also in its physical plant and facilities. 

Owing to the yearly increase in enrollment, the administration saw the need to find a new school site that could accommodate its growing population. The new school site was chosen and approved in the late 1950's. No less than the Very Rev. Leo Deschatelets, OMI, the Superior General of the Oblate Congregation, came all the way from Rome to Cotabato City to lay the cornerstone and bless the college grounds. This momentous event took place on February 27, 1959. 

The construction of the new building and acquisition of facilities went in full swing despite financial problems. At one time, the construction had to be stopped due to lack of funds; yet the Oblates' faith in God's providence never waned.

 

In the 60's

In the 60s…Becoming a UNIVERSITY

In June 1960, classes were transferred to the newly constructed Burke Building, named after Fr. James Burke, OMI, theOblate Provincial Superior from 1957 to 1963. Classes were disrupted in October due to floods that caused the Rio Grande River to overflow. On February 19, 1961, the new college building was inaugurated and blessed by His Excellency Archbishop Salvatore Siino, Papal Nuncio to the Philippines. It was a grand affair, marking one of the significant events in the history of Notre Dame College. 

By the Academic Year 1962-1963, other buildings were constructed -- the Faculty House, the Elementary Training Department, and the Technical Building. The decade of the 1960s brought further innovations in the curricular offerings. The College of Engineering was opened. Subjects common to Civil, Mechanical, and Electrical Engineering were offered in the first and second years. In 1965, a complete course leading to the Degree of Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering was given Government Recognition. The Graduate School offered courses leading to the degree of Master of Arts in Education.

The Technical School also got the Government Permit and Recognition in 1965 and 1967 respectively. The Technical School offered a complete secondary high school and vocational education.

These developments were made possible under the leadership of Fr. Philip F. Smith, OMI who assumed as Rector of the College in 1964.

In 1968, a new Administration-Science-Auditorium Building was constructed. It was inaugurated in March 1969 and was dedicated to Dan and Ana O'Keefe who gave substantial donations for its completion.

1969 was a historic year in the life of the College. In an order signed by the Secretary of Education, Dr. OnofreCorpuz, and the Director of Private Schools, Dr. NarcisoAlbarracin, Notre Dame College was elevated to University status on March 11, 1969.

The elevation of Notre Dame College into a full-fledged University came to be the capstone and the crowning glory of the educational leadership of the Oblate Fathers in Southern Philippines. It exemplified the untiring zeal of the Oblate Fathers in providing relevant and dynamic education through the apostolate of teaching. For the Oblates, it signified a beginning of a new era of renewed commitment to the education ministry. 

Notre Dame University was formally inaugurated on September 9, 1969 at the same time it marked its 21st year as a higher education institution. It was highlighted by the investiture of the Very Rev. Joseph Milford, OMI as the first University President and the installation of the Very Rev. Philip F. Smith, OMI as the first University Rector. In his inaugural address, Fr. Milford said, "We are a Catholic University. This is not a distinction of limitation but a directional beam for truth which is the constant quest of all universities."

 

In the 70's

In the 70s…Surviving the Conflicts and Disasters

The decade of the 70's brought about significant changes in the life of the University.  From a struggling small College in 1948, it metamorphosed into a University in twenty-one years of its existence.  One significant change was the assumption of the first Filipino President, the Rev. Fr. Orlando Quevedo, OMI. The formal installation of the new President took place on January 30, 1971.

In his inaugural address, Fr. Quevedo stressed the nature and role of the university.  He said, "The aim of the University is human resource development within the community."  He added that the role of NDU is "to grapple with the problems of a developing region through its teaching, and its research and that failure to do so could be tragic betrayal of academic thrust."

Another significant change was the appointment of Mrs. Cecilia S. de Leon as the first lay and non-Oblate Finance Officer/Treasurer of the University in 1970.

At the height of the MNLF wars in the early 70's, NDU was not spared from the conflict. The skirmishes affected not only the peace and order situation but also the economy. NDU was swarmed by soldiers belonging to the 21st and 25th Army Battalions who were on looked out for rebel snipers within the vicinity of the University. The student population at the University suddenly dropped to less than 2,000 by 1973. One student was killed and two others were wounded on different occasions by stray bullets.

But the period also saw qualitative developments at NDU. In July 1970, the University offered Journalism for the first time. The courses were programmed eventually to become a minor field of study in Liberal Arts. On October 28, 1971, six administrative assistants were named and appointed Department Heads by the President. Their primary function was to assist the Deans of the different colleges in the preparation of curricular offerings, scheduling of class programs, and supervision of instruction. The appointees were:  Mr. Eugenio Echavez, Accounting; Mrs. Fe Angeles Lopez, English; Mrs. EdithaTugbo, Language; Mr. CeferinoCostales, Mathematics; Mrs. Luz Tolentino, Natural Science and Mrs. Angelina Reyes, Social Sciences.

In 1972, the Planning and Development Office was created with Mr. Guillermo Hagad as Planning and Development Officer.  In the same year, the Socio-Economic Research Center (SERC) was established with Ms. Eva Kimpo-Tan as Director. This center was envisioned to be the research arm of the University that would provide direction in planning, research, education and training and technical assistance in research and socio-economic development concerns to the people of the region.

In 1974, NDU opened its Nursing College as approved by the Bureau of Private Schools. In June 1975, the College of Commerce offered two new courses: Management and Financial Management. In November 1975, three new graduate courses were offered:  Master of Arts in Education major in Elementary School Management/ Secondary School Management; and Master of Arts in Guidance.

At a time when the University was heading towards development, the unexpected came.  At about 12:13 midnight on August 17, 1976, a strong earthquake of tectonic origin rocked Cotabato City causing damage to buildings, roads, schools, houses and other structures. Then came the tsunamis wiping out thousands of houses in the coastal areas. Thousands of people died and tens of thousands more were left homeless.


The destructive force of the earthquake did not spare NDU. The Administration-Science-Auditorium Building collapsed. The Burke and Technical Buildings suffered severe cracks. The damage was estimated to have reached over P8 million.For two weeks, classes were suspended to give way to reconstruction and rehabilitation. Classes resumed on September 1, 1976. Semestral classes ended on October 23 instead of the second week.


The earthquake had left NDU in ruins, but it survived. Survival proved to be a great task for the new University President.

Toward the end of 1976, Fr. Quevedo requested for a leave from the University to take up his spiritual renewal course at St. Louis University in Missouri. His request was granted by Fr. Jose Ante, OMI who was the Oblate Provincial at that time.

In 1976, Fr. Jose Roberto Arong, OMI inherited the task of reconstruction and rehabilitation. He was the third President of the University and the second Filipino to occupy such position.


In 1977, the Quinn and McGrath Buildings were built to house the Engineering College.

In due time, Fr. Arong was able to finish rehabilitation of damaged buildings and even added to his accomplishment a new building, the Archbishop Gerard Mongeau Chapel, which became the heart of the University. The Chapel was consecrated in September 1981.


Parallel with the physical improvement was an upgrading of the University's academic offerings. In 1976, the Graduate School offered M.A. in Public Administration, followed by the offering ofM.A. in Business Administrationin 1980.

 

In the 80's

In the 80s…Engaging in the Struggle to Regain Freedom

In 1980, the Philippine Accrediting Association of Schools, Colleges and Universities (PAASCU) granted the programs of the three colleges of the University -- the College of Arts and Sciences, the College of Commerce and the Teachers' College Level I accreditation which was certified by the Federation of Accrediting Agencies of the Philippines (FAAP).

In the same year, the Core Curriculum was introduced integrating both Christian and Islamic Values in all core subjects taken by the students. There were two other buildings that were built for the Engineering College - - the Javellana and Vengrin buildings.

On June 12, 1982, Fr. Jose D. Ante, OMI succeeded Fr. Arong, OMI as the 4th President of NDU. He continued the upgrading of the University's academic programs. In 1983, a program towards a doctoral degree in the field of Education, major in Educational Management was introduced.

The University's new Science Building named Archbishop Philip Smith Science Hall, a three-storey structure with a roof deck, housing the laboratories and lecture roomsfor the basic science courses was blessed on February 17, 1983. The same year saw also the construction of Deckert Building that houses the Business Office. 

In April 1984, three Colleges earned PAASCU re-accreditation of their programs. These were the College of Arts and Sciences, Teachers' College, and the College of Commerce, which were re-accredited for Level II. The College of Engineering was given accreditation for Level I. Such accreditation indicated that the University's educational programs met the education standards of quality and excellence. 

In 1986, the Five-Year Development Program was launched in the University focusing on the over-all intellectual, social, cultural, and economic uplifting of the University community. 

On December 8, 1988, the USAID-financed De MazenodBuilding was blessed and dedicated.  Ambassador Nicholas Platt, the US Ambassador to the Philippines, graced the occasion that was attended by prominent city, provincial, and military officials.  Two days later, on December 10, 1988, the NDU Peace Center was inaugurated which coincided with the 40th anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.In 1990, the NDU Peace Center was awarded the prestigious Aurora Aragon Quezon Award in recognition of the Center's efforts in promoting peace and development.

 

In the 90's

In the 90s…Advocating Peace and Democracy

In 1992, Fr. Eliseo R. Mercado, Jr., OMI became the 5th President succeeding Fr. Jose Ante, OMI. With his innovative leadership, Fr. Mercado initiated much needed reforms at the University, sought support from funding agencies to gradually regain the University's financial stability. The University was projected in the limelight of academic excellence, peace advocacy, and development.

During this period, NDU offeredprograms in Postgraduate Studies, Arts and Sciences, Law, Engineering, Nursing, Business and Accountancy, Education, Vocational and Technical Courses and Grade School.

Pursuing the mandate for excellence in tertiary education, the College of Arts and Sciences, Teachers College and the College of Commerce earned the PAASCU Level III Accreditation of its programs in 1992.

Over the years, the University has been actively involved in providing educational leadership in the region and has been extremely successful in this regard. The greater number of public administrators in the city and region are graduates of NDU. Graduates of the College of Education are found in all levels of the educational system. Major business enterprises in the City employ professional level employees who are products of the University.

As envisioned, the University remains to be proactive in promoting peace and development in the region's Special Zone of Peace and Development (SZOPAD).  NDU has opened its doors to the on-going peace negotiations between the Government and the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (GRP-MILF Dialogue).

The peace initiatives of NDU are reflected in the curricular and co-curricular programs for students and faculty as well as in the creation of several development-oriented University units maintaining programs that promote social transformation in the region. The University units directly involved in this endeavor included the Center for Policy Advocacy and Strategic Studies, Peace Education Center, University Research Center, Community College, Alumni and Continuing Education Center, the Museum, and the Institute of Cotabato Cultures.

In 1997, the Nepomuceno Building was built to house the Graduate School and College of Law.

The University opened new linkages and network in the field of business, communications, education, and research with FAPENET and INTERNET links. In August 1998, the NDU homepage was launched for Internet access.

A Data Bank in the University Research Center was established to provide collections of facts and figures about strategic regions of Mindanao through the NDU homepage.

In School Year 1997-1998, the University, in cooperation with the Mindanao Advanced Education Project (MAEP) of the Commission on Higher Education, offered Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Peace and Development and Master of Arts (M.A.) in Peace and Development.

In 1997, the Brekel Building was built to house the Logistics Office.


In June 1998, Notre Dame University celebrated its Golden Jubilee Year as a tertiary education institution in Central Mindanao. A one-week celebration from June 22 to 26 included a parade of activities such as Jubilee Festival, Photo Exhibit, Trade Fair, Sports Competition, Film Showing, Singkwentang Alay for Street Children, Medical Outreach, Legal Services, Theatre workshop, Cooking Demonstration, and other activities. The Grand Eucharistic Celebration and 'GabingParangal'was held on June 26, 1998. A host of guests and visitors from various institutions and organizations in Mindanao who shared in the joys and jubilations of the University community attended the Mass and Parangal.

In December 1999, the Teaching Caravan Program under the University Center for Continuing Education was launched to provide continuing professional education (CPE) to high school teachers in the Cotabato region.

 

 

Present Times

The Present Times
Entering the 2000s…Advancing Dialogue and Solidarity through Information Technology

As the University enters the new millennium, it conducted its 5-Year Strategic Planning for SY 2000 to 2005 on March 29-30, 2000, formulating as its theme "NDU Education means: Religion as the Core of the Curriculum and Faith in Action as the Seal of NDU Community and Graduates".

To provide continuing professional enhancement to its graduates, the University opened its Licensure Review Programs for Engineering and Accountancy in SY 2001-2002, in addition to the LET Review Program. Through the Graduate School, the University also participated in the Third Elementary Education Program (TEEP) of the Department of Education that designed a special course for classroom teachers to attain mastery in a specific area of study like English, Filipino, Mathematics and Educational Administration.

In October 2001, the Commission on Higher Education awarded Notre Dame University with a Deregulated Status as a Higher Education Institution (HEI) with exemplary performance in instruction, research and public service.

In June 2002, Fr. Ramon Ma. G. Bernabe, OMI succeeded Fr. Eliseo R. Mercado, Jr. OMI as the 6th President of the University. He is the first alumnus and the youngest so far to have been appointed the highest post at Notre Dame University. In his Inaugural Speech on July 2, 2003, Fr. Bernabe committed to pursue the "thrust towards peace and development through education, research, and advocacy, anchored on the tenets of solidarity and dialogue".

With the University's prestige in Central Mindanao, the World Bank awarded Notre Dame University as one of its ten Knowledge for Development Centers (KDC) in the country. The WB-KDC opened at the University Library in October 2002 to provide technology-based information resource and wide-range of development literatures for research to a broad-based clientele, both private and public, for the Central Mindanao Region. The University also became a pioneer member of the Mindanao Studies Consortium Foundation, Inc. (MSCFI) with ten other member schools to provide collaboration, engagement, participation of the Academe in policy and development programs for Mindanao.

On September 27, 2004, the Commission on Higher Education (CHED) deputized Notre Dame University to implement the ETEEAP (Expanded Tertiary Education Equivalency and Accreditation Program). 

The University President, Fr. Ramon Ma. G. Bernabe, OMI, was subsequently elected in February 2005 as the Oblate Provincial Superior of the Congregation of the Oblates of Mary Immaculate, Philippine Province. As he had to move on to greater Congregation Mission for the Oblate Province, a new President was installed.


Fr. Eduardo G. Tanudtanud, OMI, installed as the 7th University President, set foot at the threshold of University leadership feeling "the sacredness, the dignity and the challenges of the ministry of leadership and stewardship". During his installation on June 24, 2005, Fr.  Tanudtanud noted that the University has to face "the challenge to continue to raise the bar of University performance in delivering quality programs that are relevant, important, responsive, innovative, entrepreneurial and beneficial to the needs of our stakeholders in the region".  

In 2005, the University was engaged in the DepEd Region XII's Teachers Development thrust through the SEDIP Program. With the Graduate School as the anchor unit, the University provided training to all CotabatoDepEd District schools reaching out to about 2,000 school teachers on the areas of classroom management, teaching strategies and educational technology.
Fr. Tanudtanud opened the University's international and national networks for human resource development. In 2005, four faculty members were sent to study in Australia through scholarships from the Philippine Australian Human Resource Development Facility (PAHRODF). They pursued Master'sprogram in Education, Pedagogy and Curriculum.

To appropriately align the University to the global technology, Fr. Tanudtanud made significant investments in information technology (IT) facilities. The University set up a full fiber optics network backbone that enabled all of the buildings and offices spread throughout NDU to be joined together in one network domain. The network backbone facilitates sharing files online, and communicating with one another via Intranet instant messaging, audio, and even video conferencing.Such significant investments in IT infrastructure also fully support the INTRANET and INTERNET services in the University. NDU changed its domain name from PHNET (edu.ph) to DREAMHOST (http://www.nducotabato.org).The University aptly geared into the third millennium by accessing cyber technology.


In February 2006, with strategic mindset and dynamism, Fr. Tanudtanud led the University community to a Visioneering and Strategic Management Program. The Program began with the revisiting and re-articulating of the University's Vision Mission. Through the Visioneering exercise, which involved all University stakeholders, a whole year round process of revisiting, reviewing  and rearticulating its University Vision-Mission-Goals was conducted with the faculty members, non-teaching staff, administrators, students, alumni and parents. The long and empowering process of sharing and discussions in the University's Visioneering Program finally culminated with the re-articulation of the University's Vision Mission Goals.


In June 2006, the University articulated its University Vision-Mission Statement as follows, "Guided by the charism of St. Eugene de Mazenod and committed to excellence, Notre Dame University is a pioneer Catholic Oblates of Mary Immaculate educational institution in Central Mindanao. It envisions tobe a leading institution in education for social transformation."

In pursuit of the University's Vision, Mission and Goals, the University formulated a very powerful strategy for its education operations. The Strategy is towards "Enhanced performance in an enabling environment, driven by student-centeredness and inspired by the core values". This University Vision-Mission (VM) and Strategy serve as the inspiration and guide for the University community to pursue its education ministry and programs. The University administrators, faculty members, non-teaching personnel subscribe and refer to this VM and Strategy when the University conducts the annual Institutional Strategic Planning and Development Program.

During the 48thAraw ngCotabato celebration on June 19, 2007, Notre Dame University received from the City Government of Cotabatoa Special Award as the Most Outstanding Educational Institution in Cotabato City and Central Mindanao for the school's exemplary and meritorious services.


In 2007, from Quezon City, the Oblate Juniorate returned to Notre Dame University for its formation phase to provide rootedness to the Oblate Mission in Cotabato City. The Oblate Junior Seminarians, together with the Archdiocesan Seminarians, pursue academic and religious formation at the University.


Around this decade, the University prioritized the institution's human resource development programs as it opened more opportunities for faculty degree scholarshipprograms through CHED, PAHRDF, FORD, DOST, and other scholarships. It has provided non-degree programs for enhancing and retooling faculty members through attendance to trainings, seminars and workshops, regional and national.  

The University, through its academic programs and research, Community Extension Services, and the Alumni and Continuing Education Center, made significant peace and development contributions to both Region XII and the ARMM, especially in the areas of early childhood education, out-of-school youth skills trainings, livelihood, and  teacher-training. It was able to accomplish as much through its partners (local government units, government organizations, non-government organizations, the church and religious sector, peoples organization, media, and business agencies engaged in peace and development).


With jubilation, the University celebrated its 60th Year as a higher education institution in Central Mindanao in SY 2008-2009.  The highlight of the celebration were the Eucharistic Mass, motorcade, and the fellowship dinner with the Oblate Fathers, the Alumni, the Retirees and other significant personalities in the historical development of the University

In May 2008, the FAAP awarded Level III accreditation to the Programs of Arts and Sciences and Business Education, and Level II Accreditation to the Teacher Education Program with PAASCU as the Accrediting Body. The accreditation is for a five-year period.

The University hosted the USAID Growth with Equity in Mindanao (GEM) Program in the conduct of the Round Table Discussion on Rido Research and Development and the Peace Process on March 3, 2009, which was honored by the presence of the US Ambassador to the Philippines Her Excellency Kristie A. Kenny.

On March 11, 2009, in recognition of the University's exemplary performance as a higher education institution, the Commission on Higher Education (CHED) re-awarded Notre Dame University with a Deregulated Status. NDU has had Deregulated Status since October 2001.

As an inspiring motivation for academic excellence, Fr. Eduardo G. Tanudtanud, OMI, give University Cash Incentives to NDU Graduates that are Topnotchers in the Licensure Examinations. During the 2009 Graduation Ceremonies, in recognition of and appreciation for exemplary achievements, Fr. Tanudtanud awarded cash incentives to Ms. Mary Rose TeopeCulanggo,the Top 10th Placer in the 2009 Licensure Examination for Teachers, and toEngr. AlbashirSedik,the Top 5th Placer in the 2009 Licensure Examination for Electrical Engineering.


The University pursued programs and activities to make the University as an education institution for social transformation. Realizing the globalization of education, the University engaged in an English proficiency program for teachers in 135 participating schools in Mindanao with the IELTLM Program (Improving English Language Teaching and Learning in Mindanao).

The USAID-GEM program for Promoting English Proficiency (PEP) in the University was launched with the provision of DynEd software licenses for English proficiency made accessible to teachers in the region. The University also had program services aligned with PBSP, Don Bosco Skills Training Center, Namfrel, Consuelo Foundation, Synergia, USAID-ELSA, ACCESS, SGUIDO, BEAM and ATEP engagements. 

The curricular programs in the Graduate School have included the Doctor of Philosophy in Peace and Development (PhDPD) while in the undergraduate programs, the Bachelors program in Information Technology and Information Systems have been granted Government Recognition.

The Academic Sector in 2009 – 2010 was fully strengthened with the re-organization of its curricular programs under a designated Department Program Head. Under the five colleges of the University, a total of 17 Department Programs Heads were appointed to provide immediate and consistent review and management of curricular and instructional management of their respective degree programs.

In support of the University's direction for student formation, the Office of the Vice-President for Identity and Mission was created. This sector consists ofthe Campus Ministry, Chaplaincy, Peace Center and the Office of Community Development and Skills Training Center.


In 2009, another landmark of achievement of the decade was the construction of the Notre Dame House at 316 Calachuchi St., Juna Subdivision, Matina, Davao City. To provide access to housing facility for the University community when attending programs and activities in Davao City, the University constructed its three-floor building in Davao City. The Notre Dame House provides dormitory facility to students, faculty, visitors and guests in the conduct of the review class, affiliation programs and other functions in Davao.

 

 

In the 2010's

 
In the 2010s … Moving forward with Intensified FIRES (Faith, Integrity, Respect, Excellence, Service)


With the articulation of the University's Vision-Mission, Fr. Eduardo G. Tanudtanud, OMI continued the Visioneering Process in the University. The University Community also went into revisiting and re-articulation process of the University's Core Values. The process resulted to the re-articulation and adoption of the University Core Values, coined with the acronym FIRES to stand for Faith, Integrity, Respect, Excellence and Service. In this regard, as inspired by FIRES, Notre Dame University moves towards social transformation through education.

The infrastructure development of the University followed suit to provide more enabling environment for the teaching and learning processes in campus. There were the construction of the pre-school building, the Multi-Purpose Facility, student lounges of the colleges, and the renovation of the Gymnasium, the Deckert Building, Brekel Building and others.


In SY 2010-2011, for its science and technology pursuits, the University opened a new college, the College of Computer Studies that offered programs of BS Computer Science, BS Information Technology and BS Information Systems.

In October 10, 2010, the Fr. Alfonso Cariño Building was blessed as the facility dedicated to the education commitment to quality and excellence pursued by Fr. Cariño in his Ministry while with Notre Dame University in the early 1970s. The Building houses the Offices of the Vice-President for Academic Affairs, the College of Health Sciences, College of Computer Studies, classrooms and Nursing Arts Laboratory.

As the University opened the School Year in June of 2010 and 2011, it was not spared of the flooding in the city caused by the immersion of water hyacinths deep into the Rio Grande and its tributaries. The University had to suspend classes for two to three weeks due to flood in campus and the city's thoroughfares.

 
 


On August 8, 2011, the NDU Oblate Residence was blessed with the Oblate Provincial Fr. Ramon G.Bernabe, OMI as the Main Celebrant. The Oblates at Notre Dame University transferred to the newly-built, cozy and beautifully landscaped NDU Oblate Residence from their old Faculty House.

During this period, there were additional academic curricular programs offered with Government Permit and Recognition – BS Accounting Technology, BS Entrepreneurship, BEED Special Education, BS Library Science, BSEd Physical Science, and AB English.

The NDU – Elementary Training Department was awarded the Level 1 Accreditation as a distinction for quality basic education by the PAASCU (Philippine Accrediting Association of Schools Colleges and Universities) in March 2011 until March 2014.

With its active and full participation in education in the Region, Notre Dame University forged a partnership with DepEd-AusAid-BRACto provide basic education to school-less barangays in the municipalities of ShariffAguak, Datu Hofer Ampatuan, Sultan Kudarat and Sultan Mastura in the Province of Maguindanao.


On February 17, 2012, the Fr. Reynaldo Roda Student Center was inaugurated. The Center houses the Offices of the Student Affairs and Services, Campus Ministry and Religious Education, Peace Center, Guidance and Testing Center, Supreme Student Government, and Actidamean. The Center forged the convergence of all the programs for student development and formation in the University. The Center was the former NDU Faculty House which was renovated to be the Student Center in campus.
 

On the occasion of the March 2012 Graduation Ceremonies, Fr. Eduardo Tanudtanud, OMI awarded to the 4th Placer in the October 2011 Bar Examination, Ms. RosemilBañaga, her Cash Incentive of Seventy Thousand Pesos for her excellent performance in the Examination. This represented another milestone in the academic excellence of the University.
 


In May 2012, another three curricular programs of the University were granted Level 1 PAASCU Accreditation – Computer Engineering of the College of Engineering; Computer Science of the College of Computer Studies; and Accountancy of the College of Business & Accountancy.

In line with the Vision of educating for social transformation, the University provides studentsITopportunities and facilities so that they become locally and globally competitive especially in this age of information revolution. It also implements of computerized enrollment and student services (such as library access, internet services, automated billing services, and others).

With the globalization of education, the Philippine Education System has launched directions towards the K to 12 education landscape. This development impelled education institutions such as NDU to also align with the emerging realities of basic education framework in its continuum to tertiary education. The general education curriculum and the impending change in the policies standards and guidelines of higher education curricular programs are the directions that the University has to provide clear and directed programs in all of itscolleges.

The emerging thrust for the K to 12 Program for the Philippine Education System presents a need for a critical review and revision of the higher education curriculum and standards for Higher Education Institutions (HEIs). The University faces the challenges of the education highway from the Kindergarten to Junior High School, to Senior High School and to Tertiary level.

For SY 2012-2013, the University opened BEED major in Special Education with the College of Education. The College of Business and Accountancy opened the BS Entrepreneurship program. The Graduate School also offered the Master of Arts in Nursing (MAN) with its Government Recognition from CHED. The following school year, the Master of Arts in Education major in Early Childhood Education (ECE) was also included in its curricular offerings.

 
In June 2012, with the Permit granted by the DepEd, the NDU-Junior High School started accepting Grade 7 students to align with the K to 12 thrust. And, in June 2013, the JHS had a complete secondary education with the additional opening of the Grade 8, 3rd year, and 4th year levels.


The CHED's movement towards developing an Outcomes-based Education and Typology-based Quality Assurance for Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) as a standard for Philippine higher education framework presents further challenge to HEIs like Notre Dame University to pursue globalized educational landscapes. 

With the distinction as a Deregulated Status HEI granted by the Commission of Higher Education (CHED), and its accreditation granted by the Philippine Accrediting Association of Schools Colleges and Universities (PAASCU), NDU moves forward with intensified FIRES (Faith, Integrity, Respect, Excellence and Service) in its efforts in the delivery of quality education to its students.  

Guided and inspired by the lofty ideals and principles of the Oblate Missionary thrusts, NDU carries out its task of Formation, Instruction, Research, and Extension (FIRE).

NDU continues to strive to produce authentic persons and professionals of competence, conscience and compassionate commitment. NDU stands proudly as the capstone and crowning glory of the Oblates of Mary Immaculate in the Philippine Mission. As a center of academics par excellence, NDU shines as the beacon light that welcomes the dawn of the twenty-first century. With the same thrust, dedication and authentic service, the University will always keep pace with the growing demands of time for the greater glory of God under the patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary.

School Events

Oct
23

10.23.2017 - 10.25.2017

Oct
24

10.24.2017 - 10.26.2017

Nov
16

11.16.2017 - 11.18.2017

Dec
1

12.01.2017